The Case for California Child Support Laws

Locating A Non-Custodial Parent
California child support laws will assist in finding those parents who are required to pay child support. Your local child support agency will assist you in trying to find the parent to establish paternity and/or establish, change, or enforce orders for child support. The child support can utilize both state and federal records to locate parents.

California Child Support and Services
These services are available regardless of the parent’s marital status, income or enrollment in a public assistance program. In order to apply for child support and open a case, you will need to contact the local child support office in you area of residence and request an application. (See below for more information on identifying and contacting your child support agency.) Your local child support agency will provide free services, even if you are not receiving public assistance.

When applying for child support services, your local caseworker will ask for information about you, your children, and you child’s other parent. The more information you can provide at this time, the faster a child support order can be obtained. Be prepared to provide as much of the following information as possible:

1.The custodial parent’s full name, address, phone number, Social Security number, date of birth, tax returns for the last two years, marriage license, divorce or separation order, paycheck stubs, name, address, and phone number of employer, and existing child support orders.

2.The child’s full name, address, phone number, date of birth, a copy of his or her birth certificate, Social Security number, and proof of paternity.

3.The non-custodial parent’s full name, address, phone number, Social Security number, date of birth, tax returns for the last two years, marriage license, divorce or separation order, paycheck stubs, name, address, and phone number of employer, existing child support orders, photograph or description, contact information for friends and family, club memberships, and financial information.

Child support case information is confidential and not open to the public, but any information entered in court files may be public record. When you open a child support case, you will initiate the process to obtain child support. 

You can initiate the paperwork to establish paternity and child support when you are pregnant. If the man you believe is your baby’s father is denying paternity, the child support agency can assist you in obtaining the necessary genetic testing to establish paternity.  However, some medical labs will only perform genetic tests after a child is six months of age or older.

Establishing California Child Support Laws
Once paternity is established, you will need to establish a court order for child support in order to receive payments. The child support order will establish the amount of money to be paid by the non-custodial parent. This amount is determined using guidelines established by California law.

California child support laws and guidelines are based on each parent’s income, visitation, and the financial needs of the child. For the purpose of establishing the amount of child support payments, the court will consider income from all sources such as wages, tips, commissions, bonuses, self-employment earnings, unemployment benefits, disability payments, workers’ compensation, interest payments, dividends, rental income, social security or retirement benefits, as well as any other payments or credits such as prize money or lottery winnings.

Most orders will also include a provision for medical coverage from one or both parents and a wage assignment so that the money can be withheld from the non-custodial parent’s paycheck to pay child support. Child support orders can be obtained and enforced, even when the other parent lives in another state.  California’s child support agency works in conjunction with the comparable agencies in other states to ensure that payments are received and disbursed.

Modifying California child support laws

California’s child support agency will not automatically modify any child support orders. However, either parent can request a review of the child support orders if there is a significant change in the life style. Situations that may warrant the modification of a child support order include an decrease or increase of pay in either parent’s wages, a custody change, or a change in the time spend with each parent.

California’s Ombudsperson Program
An ombudsperson, or neutral representative, is available at each local child support office to assist parents in obtaining child support services. The ombudsperson can provide information about California child support laws, programs, answer questions, and resolve disputes. The ombudsperson can also help to arrange interpreters for child support court cases, evaluate customer complaints, and suggest ways to resolve concerns among parties.

More Information on California Child Support Laws

Recorded Messages (toll free) (866) 249–0773
Sacramento   (916) 464–5000
TDD (toll free)   (866) 223–9529

En Espanol
Recorded Messages (toll free) (866) 249–0773
Sacramento (916) 464–5000
TDD (Sacramento) (916) 464–5624

Locating a Lawyer Made Easy

The Internet has become a power tool to help one look for specific information that is required. You also have the power to find lawyers who are willing to help with your child support casse. The services are free and they are confidential Find the right lawyer for you.


Simply Ask a Lawyer your Question

Have A Great Story About This Topic?

Do you have a great story about this? Share it!

[ ? ]

Upload 1-4 Pictures or Graphics (optional)[ ? ]


Click here to upload more images (optional)

Author Information (optional)

To receive credit as the author, enter your information below.

(first or full name)

(e.g., City, State, Country)

Submit Your Contribution

 submission guidelines.

(You can preview and edit on the next page)

What Visitors Have Said about Child Support

Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...

Fathers who get screwed due to child support 
I understand that it is our obligations and responsibilities as fathers to take care of our kids. The court system doesn't seem to understand that these …

Take from one to feed another? 
I am a single father that has custody of two boys from a previous relationship. I have a daughter that I am paying child support for and who lives in another …

CHILD / SUPPORT .............. FOR WHO? 
I am Considered as a Criminal not a Father at all in the States, with No Complaints nor Committing a crime. I don't blame anyone nor these poor person(s), …

Bats Need Their Own Cave 
A while back, I wrote a story called "Even Bats Have Caves" ( That story ended …

Father of 2 without custody 
This is about my brother. He is 37, going on 70. This whole divorce and ex wife process has taken a toll. She was the one cheating and kicked him out. …

Father with no rights 
My ex wife was a cop with the LAPD. She took off in 87 with my 6 year old son. During the internal investagation with the police department, after I filed …

The Children Are Not Mine 
I have been taking care of two children who are not mine. I have paperwork that states that the there are not mine the mother has a sworn statement that …

Garnishment leaving Dependents Homeless 
After the divorce from his first wife, my father paid child support regularly but missed a few payments while out of work/temp disabled. He did not get …

Victim of a Loop hole of an unjust system 
I was planning to get married for the first time in my life, the bride was a russian girl who we had met in Sacramento area. I knew she would have needed …

Is this legal? 
My ex-wife wants more money, so I'm back in court yet again. She was finally successful in running off my new girlfriend. I have two children with my ex-wife …

I met a female through the internet. We went on three dates and then she calls it off. She then comes back into my life and tells me she's pregnant. …

Its all about the custodial parent 
Let me begin by saying; your options are limited. For the most part, the state will always side with the custodial parent when money is involved. What …

Army Father denied rights 
I am a Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Army and I have been paying child support for the past 15 years. I am not behind in my payments and I have insurance …

Never had a chance 
I first started having children at age 17. My firstborn was a boy, so I had a son. Me and my baby mama didn't even wait the whole 6 weeks to start having …

Father's Get Nothing!But Jail!! 
I am a perfect example of this failing system,I have never recieved any rights,what so ever from our great child support system.All I have recieved is …

Ex-Wife is Cold-Hearted  
I'm married to a wonderful man, and we just recently had a beautiful baby boy in August, I'm pissed off, because all of a sudden out of nowhere he's ex …


Fatherhood with Optional Responsibility???? 
I have been divorced almost two years. When are divorce was in the process, my ex presented a letter from his employer (he was employed by his cousin) …

Can't see my daughter, don't want to deal with the ex either. 
so.. short story, can thank me. had my daughter 1yr 3 months ago..i was there. Ilegally, after a mandatory wa st dv arrest, and mand. no contact order, …

Good dad trying to fix mistakes 
Well I last seen my son when he was 3 its been almost 8 years now and he's 11. The only thing I get with my son is phone conversations and I try seeking …

Wanting better things for my child & I 
I'm a 31 year old single parent of a 10 year old girl who is my world. I have been struggeling since the day my daughter was born to be able to see her …

Club Hoppin and Conniving Babies Mamas  
I meet my husband in 6/2006 and in 12/2007, we got married. His oldest daughter is 13 and her mother is a conniving "female". When she found out she was …

A Fathers Nightmare! Not rated yet
I am father who had a child at the age of 18yrs I was still living with my parents taking care of my daughter and with the help of my parents also my child …

International Abduction  Not rated yet
In 2002 my children were abducted by the Australian mother and taken to Australia. We were stationed in Japan at the time in the USAF. I sought help from …

Click here to write your own.

Dad with a broken heart Not rated yet
Well my story really begins when my divorce was final in 1997. I tried to see my children shortly after the devorce and my ex would not let me see them. …

NOT THE FATHER... Not rated yet
I just want to say that I read a piece of this article that mentioned child support should be based on current salary of the non custodial parent, not …

I'm a Dad Not rated yet
I'm a Dad of too Girls. Each child has a different Mother. My oldest is now 23. After being a foolish youger man I am now paying back child support and …

A Grandmothers Story Not rated yet
In 2003, my son, was 28 years old and trying to cope with the life that was thrown at him. He turned to alcohol in his twenties to drown the sorrows of …

Click here to write your own.

Related topics on California Child Support Laws |Share This Site|Find a lawyer|State Child Support|