Connecticut Child support

Establishing Connecticut Child Support
Once the non-custodial parent is located and paternity is established, it is necessary to get a court order for child support. In Connecticut, state law requires the use of pre-established child support guidelines in order to determine fair and consistent child support obligations. For those interested, copies of the child support guidelines are available free of charge from your local court clerks' office, or at the website listed below.
When the state goes to court to establish a child support order, they will also ask the court to order the non-custodial parent to provide medical and dental insurance for the child. According to the child support laws, the non-custodial parent must provide medical and dental insurance if it can be obtained at a “reasonable” cost.

Modifying Connecticut Child Support

Once the court has issued a child support order, it can be changed or modified at the request of either parent as long as certain circumstances are met. If there is a change in the financial status of either parent, if the child support order no longer meets the needs of the child, if the support order does not include medical insurance; or if the circumstances of either parent have changed substantially, then the court may decide to modify the child support order. If the order should be changed, the state will arrange to have the legal papers drawn up and taken before the court.

If you wish to have your child support order modified, make your request in writing to your local child support enforcement officer. Your request should clearly state the reason or reasons that you believe the order should be changed. The state will complete a review of your case and present its modification to the court within 180 days from your request. 

Accessing Child Support Information
The State of Connecticut operates an automated information system called “VOICES” that you can use to access general information about the child support services provided by the state, as well as up-to-date information about your case. You can access this system with a touch-tone phone at 1-800-842-1508, between 6 a.m. and midnight, seven days a week. To get information about your case, you will need to use the PIN number, which was provided to you. If you do not have a PIN number or if you are having problems accessing this information, write to the following office: PIN Administrator, DSS-BCSE, 25 Sigourney St. (10th floor), Hartford, CT 06106-5033. Be sure to include your full name, address, and social security number.

Other Organizations The Can Help

Connecticut Women's Education & Legal Fund
135 Broad St., Hartford, CT 06105; 247-6090

Legal ServicesCall INFOLINE (listed in white pages) for referral to a local office.

State Permanent Commission on the Status of Women
18-20 Trinity St., Hartford, CT 06106; 240-8300

Related Links on Connecticut Child Support

Connecticut Child Support Resource Center
Child Support Guidelines

Share This Site|Find a lawyer|State Child Support|
|Links |Child Support Laws