I am very frustrated with the way Child Support Enforcement deals with parents who are behind on court ordered child support.

I am the disabled single mother of a 17 year old daughter. My ex and I have little animosity between us but it sticks in my craw that he has been dodging court ordered payments of $376 a month ($28,000 to date).
He claims he has no job at present but I know he is perfectly capable of working.

After our divorce in 2000, he moved out-of-state and had very limited contact with our daughter (phone calls only). Child Support was able to locate his address. He recently moved back in town and occasionally stops by to see her. He always calls from a cell phone which comes up as unknown on caller ID. I have never refused his visitation requests. Recently she has gone to his apartment to visit but I hesitate to grill her about the exact address.

My dilemma is that if I do get the address, they will arrest him which will give him no chance of employment for a considerable amount of time. Who would benefit from that? Do I have the right to refuse visitation? Our daughter is actually indifferent about that prospect. She says he is annoying, childish, and can be embarrassing in public.

He had his drivers license suspended four months ago but paid $1200 and was able to get it reinstated. Since that time he has paid nothing, and according to Child Support Services, his license has been revoked. I have notified them of the state in which he is now living. With that information, they asked me to call in a few days to see if they could give me any more information.(?)

Yeah, now what? There has to be a better way to deal with these situations.

Can't violators be monitored to be sure they are making a genuine effort to find employment?

Click here to read or post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support History.