Florida Child Support Laws

Find out how to apply, collect, and enforce Florida child support

Applying For Florida Child Support
The first step you must take to obtain child support from the non-custodial parent is to obtain and complete an application for services.

Interstate Child Support
If the non-custodial parent resides in another state, or if your child support order was issued in another state, you can still apply for assistance with the FL Child Support Enforcement Office. Be prepared to provide a certified copy of the support order and payment history of child support in order to expedite processing of your case.

If you do not have a copy of the child support order, the Child Support Enforcement Office may be able to obtain the necessary information with the identity of the county or state in which the support order was obtained and the approximate date of the order.

The application can be obtained at any Florida Child Support Enforcement Office or online at: My Florida Child Support

In addition to the application, you will have to pay a non-refundable fee of $25 to the Florida Department of Revenue to process your application. For more information or for assistance in filling out the child support application, contact the Child Support Enforcement Office's toll-free number: 1(800) 622-KIDS or visit your local Child Support Enforcement Office. 

Each case varies in complexity; therefore it is difficult to determine the length of time it will take to process your Florida child support application. Difficulty locating the non-custodial parent or establishing paternity may increase the amount of time necessary to enforce a child support order.

Determining The Amount Of Child Support
Florida Statute 61.30 establishes the guidelines that are used to determine the amount of child support to be paid by the non-custodial parent. This amount is based on the number of children and combined income of both parents. The obligation for child support is divided between the two parents in direct proportion to their income and earning capacity.

The child support dollar amount may be increased or decreased up to five percent at the discretion of the Florida court system.  The Child Support Enforcement Office will also pursue medical support, such as health insurance coverage for the child. The non-custodial parent may either be required to enroll the child on his or her health insurance plan, or pay a set fee towards health insurance coverage.

Reviewing A Child Support Order
The Child Support Enforcement Office will review a child support order every three years at the request of either parent. In order to request a review, you must submit a "Request for Review and Adjustment" form to Florida' Department of Revenue.

Child Support Enforcement
The Child Support Enforcement Agency will work with both parents to ensure that child support payments are made. Non-custodial parents can arrange to have their child support payments automatically deducted from their paycheck or bank account, or a check can be mailed to the following location:

State Disbursement Unit
PO Box 8500
Tallahassee, Florida 32314-8500

Non-custodial parents who refuse to pay child support are liable for both regular and past-due payments. The FL Child Support Enforcement Agency will use a number of methods to collect and enforce the payment of child support.

Licenses: The Child Support Enforcement Agency can suspend a non-custodial parent’s driver’s license, or other licenses such as professional, occupational, or hunting and fishing licenses.

Tax Refunds: IRS tax refunds can be intercepted to pay Florida child support payments.

Lottery Winnings: Florida Lottery winnings over $600 can be confiscated and used to pay child support payments.

Liens: The Child Support Enforcement Agency can place a lien on property such as homes, land, cars, and boats owned by the non-custodial parent until the child support payments are made.

Levies: The non-custodial parent’s bank accounts can be garnish to make up for back child support payments.

Credit Bureaus:The FL Child Support Enforcement Agency will report any child support debt to the consumer credit bureaus, affecting the non-custodial parent’s credit rating.

Arrest Warrants: In cooperation with Florida’s court system, the Florida Child Support Enforcement Agency will issue an arrest warrant for a non-custodial parent who refuses to pay child support payments that have been established by a court order.

In order to file and enforce child support, the custodial parent must first have a Florida dna paternity testing done on the alleged father. By having a Florida dna paternity testing done, this will prove that the non-custodial parent is indeed the father of the child.

Checking Your Florida Child Support Status

Either parent can check on the payment collection and distribution of child support via the Florida Association of Court Clerks' web site.

You can also review payment and case history information by calling the Florida Child Support Enforcement Office at 1-800-622-KIDS (5437) or 1-877-769-0251. You will need to provide the full name and social security numbers for both parents in order to expedite your request.

If you need official legal advice please use our free referral service. You will be able to find a lawyer that can help Here

Have A Great Story About This Topic?

Do you have a great story about this? Share it!

[ ? ]

Upload 1-4 Pictures or Graphics (optional)[ ? ]


Click here to upload more images (optional)

Author Information (optional)

To receive credit as the author, enter your information below.

(first or full name)

(e.g., City, State, Country)

Submit Your Contribution

 submission guidelines.

(You can preview and edit on the next page)

What Other Visitors Have Said

Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...

The great child support fraud! 
My wife and I had 3 children together. After 10 years of marriage, I caught her cheating on me, (actually, my children informed me that when I went to …

They took my child from me an adopted her out 
Went to Santa Anna Calif. for vacation w/girlfriend new wife and my 6 yr. old daughter,we were staying at a hotel,meet some people there,gf/wife stay with …

The Court System is Broken with Prejudice 
This is a long story but I know it has mass appeal as many are in my same position. I lost my job 11 months ago and since then I have not been able to …

I just want to pay my child support in peace 
I have been divorced now for 3 years. I lived in Florida and me and my ex had joint custody. I had the boys (3) half the week then she had them half the …

14 yrs of contempt by the Mother.  
My child is 14 yrs old. I have never been late on my child support and if I was it was more like a 100 dollars. I would always try and be ahead instead …

I am th so called " middle female" in this situation. My soon to be husband went through a nasty divorice. He deployed only to come home and find out thst …

Where is Justice 
My name is Eddie Cruz Jr. and I have a two year old daughter that has been taken from my home by her mother. My daughter’s mother and I lived together …

Unconstitutional and Un-American  
Me and my ex-wife were together for 12 years and had two kids. After years of her partying and not paying bills to support our family and bingo nights …

Help my Boyfriend with any suggestions 
My Boyfriend of almost two years just went through a really bad divorce. We met at the beginning when he was separated and he was going through hell at …

Father getting away with murder!! 
My son is now 30 but for most of his life his father that knew from age 14 gave hardly anything for his son. We married at age 21 and we divorced after …

My husband has custody of his 17 yr old son. He has had him for 11 years and during that time his ex wife has rarely paid any child support. When his …

Confused step mother 
Well my story is kinda like these others. I married my husband a year ago, he has two children with his ex. I would just like some advice and to see if …

Outrageous Payments 
I was working a 50-60 hour a week, $19/hour job when i was with my ex-wife. With the hardships of economy my hours were cut right after i left her. I quit …

Ripped off 
12 years ago I was ordered to pay child support in South Bend, Indiana but a total douche bag Judge named Andrew Nemeth. I had voluntary payment stubs …

Fair System? 
I don't have the issue of my ex not letting me see my kids. My issue is I am Working 6 days a week 12-14 hrs a day so I can afford my child support along …

I have a little bit of a different situation but with the same outcome. I married a man that had two young kids with his previous short term girlfriend. …

Child support in Indiana, good luck!!! 
I have four children, I now have support orders on three of them,the first order on my oldest son went into effect in 1996,it was for $70 per week unless …

At witts end with the most un caring system in the usa  
I am a father to a 4 year old boy who i love dearly. I have just benn divorced 10 mounths now and from the court i was orderd to pay 1/3 of my mounthly …

Florida Dad Pays Support, Ex refusing visitation.. HELP! 
I am a 31 father of two little girls ages 11 and 10. I love my children and pay 715.00 a month in Court Ordered Child Support. I have tried to call my …

What kind of right does a father has when he only pays enfoce chil support. Not rated yet
Well here is my story, my ex boyfriend and i broke up and i started the process of child support since he wants giving me any money, note he has another …

Can I do something? Get justice? Not rated yet
My story begins when I worked at an University where I met B., a fellow collegue. She was a sore for eyes but she seemed nice so we became friends. She …

PLEASE DONT MAKE ME DO IT!!!! Not rated yet
I MUST FIRST SAY I love my son (kids). I am a man with problems with disabilities and unemployed at a bad time now. My BM is draging me back to court again …

Tired and Fed Up! Not rated yet
I am a father of 2 children who I haven't seen in roughly 8 years due to my ex-wife.Through our divorce in the state of CT, she got physical custody of …

I don't know what to do!!!! Not rated yet
I've been divorced for a year now, and ever since its been like pulling teeth to see my four year old daughter!!! i love her with all my heart??? it saddens …

Click here to write your own.

You Have Rights. Common Q&A Not rated yet
Quick Questions and Candid Answers By Outreach Pastor and Child Support Recovery Agent Jim Harnage Will I Go to Hell For Leaving My Husband? No. …

Closed case in one state  Not rated yet
Closed case in one state only to find it open in original state and still liable. I have a 30 year old son in Las Vegas. I was ordered to court …

Click here to write your own.

Share This Site|Find a lawyer|State Child Support|
|Links |Child Support Laws