Idaho Child Support

Idaho child support offers services to ensure that children receive financial and medical support from both of their parents

The local Idaho child support office can help you locate the non-custodial parent, establish paternity, and collect and distribute child support payments.

Child Support Services
Locating The Non-Custodial Parent: Using both state and federal records, Idaho’s Child Support Office may be able to help you locate the non-custodial parent. Agencies such as the Department of Health and Welfare, the Department of Labor, the National Directory of New Hires, the Department of Transportation, and the Federal Parent Locator Service can help in accessing information about the non-custodial parent’s address and current employment. Once the child support office has located the non-custodial parent, you may request to be notified of this information. Unless there is a valid reason not to share the address, Idaho Child Support Services will provide you with the non-custodial parent’s address.

Establishing Paternity
Before you can apply to receive child support payments from your child’s father, you must legally establish your child’s paternity. If you were not married to the other parent when your child was born, you may need assistance in establishing your child’s father. The process to establish legal fatherhood is relatively simple and inexpensive.

A man can acknowledge legal fatherhood by picking up an “Acknowledgment of Paternity Affadavit,” at the hospital, at your local Idaho child support office, or at the office of vital statistics. Once this document is completed, signed and submitted, the father’s name will be entered on the child’s birth certificate. There is a $13 fee that must accompany this form.

However, this fee is waived as long as the form is submitted within 10 days of the child’s birth or if there is an open child support case for this child. Either parent has 60 days from the date the acknowledgment is filed with Vital Statistics to rescind the acknowledgment. After 60 days have passed, the acknowledgment can be challenged only in court.<BR>

If a man does not wish to voluntarily sign an acknowledgment form, Idaho’s Child Support Services office will request that both parents take a genetic test to establish the child’s paternity. If the test indicates the man is the father, Idaho Child Support Services will ask a court to name him as the legal father.

Requesting Medical Support For Your Child
Idaho child support office will work with both parents to ensure that the medical needs of the child are met in addition to his or her financial needs. If the child support order includes a provision for medical coverage, the child support office can require the non-custodial parent to provide medical insurance coverage for his or her children, if it is available through an employer.

If you already have a child support order, but it does not include a provision for medical coverage, you can request a review of your order to have this requirement added.

If neither you nor your child’s other parent has access to medical insurance coverage, and if you are unable to afford private medical insurance, your child may be eligible for medical insurance through Idaho’s Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). See the website listed below for more information about this program.

Fees for Child Support Services
Idaho Child Support Services office charges a $25 fee to process an application for services and open a case. Fees are also charged for services that require legal action (such as changing a court order) or for services such as genetic testing to establish paternity. The application fee will be required at the time the case is initially opened.

But for all other fees, the child support office is usually willing to make arrangement to subtract these expenses from child support payments before they are distributed to parents. A list of fees is included in their application packet.

Applying For Child Support Services
The first step in applying for Idaho Child Support services is to complete an application form. This form can be downloaded at the Internet address listed below, or requested from the Child Support Customer Service office at (208) 334-2479 (or 1-800-356-9868 outside Boise.) If you have already established a court order for child support, you should include a certified copy with your application as well as a check or money order for $25 that is made out to Child Support Services. 

Finally, you should mail or bring this application package to your local child support office. You can find a listing of local office locations at the website listed below. You will receive a letter in the mail to inform you when the Child Support Services office has opened your case and whether or not they need any additional information.

Determining a Child Support Amount
In the State of Idaho, the amount of child support requested from a non-custodial parent is established using the Idaho Child Support Guidelines. These guidelines take into account the income of both parents, number of children each parent supports, cost of medical insurance premiums, and child tax credit.

Receiving Child Support Payments
A custodial parent can choose how he or she would like to receive child support payments from Idaho’s Child Support Services office. If you would like to have the payments direct deposited into your checking or savings account, you should attach a voided check or deposit slip with your child support services application.  If you do not provide a voided check or deposit slip, the child support services office will assume that you want to access your child support payments via a Quest debit card. Your local office will send you a card and a Personal Identification Number (PIN) within a week or two.

Contacting Idaho Child Support Offices
If you would like to speak to a Customer Service representative for more information about Idaho’s child support services, call their office toll-free at 1-800-356-9868 (in Boise, you can call 334-2479).

Please leave your question in the box below and a professional lawyer will get back to you.

Leave Idaho Child Support and Return Home
|Share This Site|Find a lawyer|State Child Support|