Indiana Child Support Laws

In the state of Indiana, child support services are provided to roughly 300,000 children

Indiana Child Support
These services are administered through the Child Support Bureau (CSB) in the Office of the Attorney General. The CSB office helps to locate non-custodial parents, establish paternity, establish and enforce child support orders, collect and disburse child support payments, and modify existing child support orders. Need more information?  Read on to learn more about applying for, paying, and receiving child support in the state of Indiana.

Indiana State Laws Child Support Services
If you are currently receiving either state or federal public assistance through TANF or Medicaid, you will actually be required to pursue child support services in order to help reimburse the state for the assistance you are receiving. Parents who are not currently receiving public assistance are also eligible to receive child support services from the CSB office.

Applying For Child Support
Indiana’s CSB office has a cooperative agreement with the local county prosecutors office in every Indiana county. You can apply for child support services by making an appointment at the local county prosecutor's office in your county of residence. Be sure to bring all relevant information about your case including court orders, payment records and information about your child’s other parent.

For example, you need to provide as much information as possible about the non-custodial parent’s full name, address, place of employment, and Social Security number. There is a nonrefundable application fee of twenty-five dollars for parents who are not receiving public assistance. You will also be asked to provide photo identification when initiating your child support case.

Indiana Child Support Enforcement
Indiana’s CSB utilizes numerous tools to enforce child support obligations. These tools include: income withholding from the non-custodial parent's employer; interception of income tax refunds (state and federal); and interception of unemployment compensation benefits.

Receiving Indiana Child Support Payments
Custodial parents residing in Marion, Allen and Vanderburgh counties have the option of receiving their child support payments by check, direct deposit, or on the Hoosier Works MasterCard, which is a commercial debit account card (CDA). If you reside in one of these counties, talk with your caseworker to decide which option will work best for you.  Child support is distributed in all other counties by check.

What is A Hoosier Works Card?
The Hoosier Works Card is a commercial debit account (CDA) card that can be used by custodial parents to receive child support payments. It is available as part of a pilot program for families living in Allen County, Marion County, and Vanderburgh County. With this card, child support payments are electronically distributed directly into your Hoosier Works Card CDA account. The card can then be used just like any other debit card wherever MasterCard debit cards are accepted. 

How Can I Get Information About My Child Support Payments?
Indiana Child Support Bureau maintains an automated phone line that can be used to access child support payment information.  This information is available via Indiana’s Kids Line, 24 hours a day, 7 days per week at 1-800-840-8757 or locally at 317-233-5437. If you wish to receive an official print out of your child support information, you can contact your local county clerk’s office.  You can also access child support payment history information at: Indiana child support payments. This website allows both custodial and non-custodial parents to view the last five payments posted to his or her case.

How Do I Make Changes to The Child Support Order?
You can request a review of your child support order by making a written request for review to the local prosecutor's office that is charged with managing your case.  During the review process, both parents may be required to provide information to assist with the evaluation. The review will determine whether the amount of child support will increase, decrease, or remain unchanged.

What If I Have Information About A Child Support Evader?
If you have information about the whereabouts of a child support evader or any attempts hide financial assets or employment by a person who owes child support, you can contact the Indiana Child Support Bureau’s anonymous tip line at 1-866-926-8332

More Information On Indiana Child Support?

A Customer Service Representative is available via Indiana’s Kids Line from 8:00am until 4:00pm eastern standard time by calling 1-800-840-8757 or locally at 317-233-5437

Share This Site|Find a lawyer|State Child Support| Links