Iowa Child Support

Iowa child support program is administered through the Child Support Recovery Unit (CSRU)

This agency aims to help families establish and enforce Iowa child support and medical support orders. They also help parents locate non-custodial parents, establish paternity, and process child support payments.

Applying For Child Support in Iowa
There are several methods that you can use to apply for child support in the state of Iowa. You can request an application by calling 515-242-5530 in the Des Moines area or 1-888-229-9223 nationwide. Finally, you may choose to visit or write to your local Child Support Recovery Unit.

Once you have completed an application for services, mail the form to the child support office in your county. Again, this address can be found at the website mentioned above. Be sure to include any additional information that may be relevant to your case, such as copies of any court orders and payment records. There is a fee to apply for services through the CSRU office.

The Federal Family Support Act of 1988, requires each state to develop and maintain uniform child support laws and to review these laws at least once every four years.  In Iowa, it is the responsibility of the Iowa Supreme Court to maintain and review these laws.

Enforcing Iowa Child Support
Iowa’s CSRU office can utilize several methods to enforce a child support on your behalf. Income withholding is the state’s primary method of collecting child support payments, whereby the CSRU office directs employers to withhold a portion of the non-custodial parent’s wages. If this method cannot be utilized, the CSRU can intercept federal and state tax refunds; take money from the non-custodial parent’s accounts or financial institutions; restrict the issuance of drivers, professional and recreational licenses, motor vehicle registrations, and passports; report late payments to credit agencies; or obtain a contempt of court orders against the delinquent payors.

Changing the Amount of Your Child Support Order
If you do not agree with the amount of child support designated in your child support order, you can request a change from the CSRU office either through an official review or through their administrative modification process. If there is a significant change in the financial or custodial status of either parent, the court may be more likely to modify a child support order. Examples of significant changes that might warrant a change in the amount of child support include a change in employment for either parent, or a change in the custody of the child. You may wish to contact an attorney to assist you through this process.

Making Child Support Payment
The easiest way to make a child support payments is through income withholding, where the payments are deducted directly from your paycheck and processed through the CSRU office. However, if this option is not available to you, you can send in your child support payments by check to the following address:

Collections Services Center
P.O. Box 9125
Des Moines, Iowa 50306

Always be sure to include your child support account number on your payment.

Receiving Iowa Child Support Payments
You have two options for receiving child support payments through the CSRU office.  You can sign up to have your payments directly deposited into your bank account, or you can utilize the ReliaCard Visa to access your payments.

The ReliaCard Visa is a type of debit card that can be used to get cash or make purchases anywhere Visa cards are accepted. The card can also be used to withdraw cash at automated teller machines (ATMs) or financial institution tellers, however if you should make your withdrawals at U.S. Bank ATMs in order to avoid the surcharges that may be charged by other banks.

Your child support payments are usually available in your ReliaCard account on the third business day after the payment is received at the Collection Services Center. You can check the available balance of your ReliaCard by calling their toll free number at (866) 276-5114 . You can use this same telephone number to ask questions about your card or your account.

For More On Iowa Child Support

There are several ways to obtain more information about child support in the state of Iowa. You can call their automated phone line at 515-242-5530 in the Des Moines area or 1-888-229-9223 nationwide; or visit your local Child Support Recovery Unit Office.

Get a Lawyer! LegalMatch allows you to present your case, and respond only to lawyers who want to help you. It's Free & Confidential. Iowa child support lawyer

Share This Site|Find a lawyer|State Child Support|
|Links |Child Support Laws