Oregon Child Support Laws

Find out how you can apply and enforce Oregon child support.

In the state of Oregon, as in all states, child support services are available to qualifying parents. The Division of Child Support administers Oregon’s child support program. If you or your child’s other parent lives in Oregon, here is what you need to know about qualifying for, applying for, and enforcing child support in this state.

Who Is Qualified For Child Support Services in Oregon?
Oregon’s Division of Child Support offers support to both custodial and non-custodial parents. Parents can apply for services even if their child’s other parent lives in another state. Oregon’s services are also available to relatives or other caretakers who have physical custody of a child. If you are currently receiving Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) or Medicaid benefits, child support services are provided automatically. If not, you can simply apply for child support services.

How Do I Apply For Oregon Child Support?
If your child has not received public assistance, you can still receive child support services by contacting the District Attorney in the county where you reside. The District Attorney’s office will ask you to fill out an application and pay a one-time administrative fee of one dollar. This fee is usually deducted from your first child support payment. As you submit the child support services application form, you will be asked to provide additional information regarding the non-custodial parent. Your application can be processed most effectively if you can provide as much of the following information as possible:

1. The non-custodial parent's Social Security Number, date of birth, place of employment, and current address.

2. The county and state in which the divorce occurred, if there was one.

3. The birth certificate and Social Security Number for the child or children involved.

What Type of Child Support Services Are Provided?
Oregon’s Division of Child Support assists both parents in establishing paternity, tracking child support payments, distributing child support payments, locating parents, and establishing and enforcing a child support order

Calculating the Amount of Child Support
The amount of child support that is to be paid is determined using a formula called the “child support guidelines.” The Division of Oregon Child Support will use financial and custody information from both parties to determine this amount. If either party objects to the amount determined, they can notify the Division of Child Support in writing to request a hearing.


Out-of-State Orders
Oregon’s Division of Child Support can work with comparable agencies in other states to help a custodial or non-custodial parent obtain or pay child support. Be sure to inform the Division employees if your child’s other parent resides in another state.

Modifying Oregon Child Support Order
The Division of Child Support will review child support orders every two years at the request of either parent. The caseworker will review the order to ensure that the appropriate amount of child support and health coverage is being provided. If there has been a significant change in the custodial relationship or the finances of either parent, the Division of Child Support will review the case at any time.

Enforcing Oregon Child Support Laws
The Division of Child Support collects, tracks, and distributes child support payments. The most common method for paying child support is called income withholding, in which the non-custodial parent has the money taken directly from his or her wages, unemployment compensation, or workers’ compensation.

This method is required in Oregon for all new or modified child support orders. Past-due child support payments can be collected by withholding federal and state tax refunds, placing a lien against property, and garnishing bank accounts, insurance settlements, inheritances, and lottery winnings. Oregon child support law also allows for the suspension of a non-custodial parent’s licenses (driver’s, recreational, and occupational) if child support payments are in arrears.

The Division of Child Support will also report the names of delinquent parties to consumer reporting agencies. Finally, if no other method of collection has been successful, a non-custodial parent may become subject to contempt of court or criminal nonsupport. These court actions can result in jail sentences.

Looking For More Info on Oregon Child Support?

24-Hour Telephone Payment Information
From the Salem area (503) 378-5567
Outside the Salem area (800) 850-0228 (toll-free in Oregon)
From outside Oregon (503) 378-5567
TTY Number (503) 945-5928

This website is here for the sole purpose of information only. In no way is this website for legal advice. Thank you for visiting my website.

Return from Oregon Child Support to Child Support Laws
Forums |Share This Site|Find a lawyer|State Child Support|