Wyoming Child Support

Wyoming Child Support Eligibility
Child support services are available in the State of Wyoming to anyone who has custody of a child and needs help establishing the child’s paternity, establishing a child support order, or collecting current or past-due child support payments. You do not have to be divorced, nor do you have to be the child’s parent to be eligible for child support services. You may be single, separated, married to someone else, or the aunt, uncle, grandparent, or custodian of a child that needs financial support.

Wyoming Child Support Laws
Wyoming child support program is governed by federal child support law found in Title IV, Section D of the Social Security Act, passed in 1975.

Wyoming Child Support Services
Wyoming’s child support offices can assist families with the following a number of child support-related services. These include:

1.Locating a non-custodial parents
2.Establishing paternity
3.Establishing a child support order
4.Establishing a medical support order
5.Enforcing a child support order
6.Coordinating interstate child support cases
7.Reviewing and modifying child support orders

Applying For Child Support in Wyoming
Custodial parents that are currently receiving a Personal Opportunities With Employment Responsibilities (POWER) grant, Medicaid, or Foster Care, will automatically be referred to Wyoming child support enforcement services. Families are not receiving any of these state or federal benefits, can still request child support services by completing an application and paying a $25 application fee.

Contact your local Child Support Enforcement office to obtain an application for child support services. You can obtain an application by writing, calling, or visiting the district child support enforcement office in your area. Complete as much of the application as possible. Be sure to sign the form, and return it, along with your $25 fee to your local child support office.

When you apply for child support services, you need to provide as much information as possible about the child and his or her other parent. Here is a list of information that you will need:

1.Full name of the non-custodial parent

2.Contact information for the non-custodial parent, including address and phone number

3.Non-custodial parent’s date and place of birth

4.Non-custodial parent’s social security number

5.Contact information for the non-custodial parent’s current employer

6.Child’s date and place of birth

7.Child’s full name and social security number

8.Certified copies of the separation order, divorce decree, child support orders, and the child’s birth certificate.

9.History of child support payments

10.Financial information on the non-custodial parent’s assets, property, etc.

If you cannot provide any of the information regarding the non-custodial parent, you may be able to provide other sources of information that your caseworker can use to locate the non-custodial parent. For instance, if it is available, it may be useful to provide contact information for the non-custodial parent’s friends or family members or a list of his or her former employers.

Wyoming Child Support Fees
If you are currently receiving a POWER grant, Foster Care, and/or Medicaid benefits you will not have to pay a fee when you apply for child support services. However, if you have never received these benefits, you must pay a fee of $25 when to enroll for Title-IV services and child support assistance. In addition, if your case warrants it, you may be assessed an additional a $25 processing fee if the state intercepts a non-custodial parent’s IRS tax refund to pay for past due child support payments.

Wyoming Child Support Enforcement Actions
Child support enforcement officers are tasked with the job of helping the custodial parent receive child support payments from the non-custodial parent. If the non-custodial refuses to pay, or falls behind on his or her payments, there are a number of actions the child support officer can take. These include:

1.Reporting the non-custodial parent to a credit-reporting bureau. A record on the non-custodial parent’s credit report can interfere with his or her ability to qualify for a house, boat, or car loan.

2.Placing a lien on the non-custodial parent’s property or bank accounts

3.Requesting denial of a passport. (This measures is used for non-custodial parents who owe arrearages of child support that exceeds $5,000.)

4.Charging the non-custodial parent with civil contempt of court or criminal nonsupport in extreme cases. These measures could result in jail time.

5.Requesting the suspension or denial of the non-custodial parent's driver's license or professional, occupational or recreational license.

6.Referring the non-custodial parent to the United States Attorney for prosecution.

7.Intercepting the non-custodial parent’s IRS tax refund. Federal child support law allows the State of Wyoming to request an IRS tax refund interception in order to pay for overdue child support payments. The custodial parent will usually be required to pay a $25 fee to initiate this tax refund interception.

Wyoming Child Support Guidelines
In Wyoming, as in most states, there are official Child Support guidelines that are designed to help the courts determine the correct amount of child support that should be ordered for each case. In general, the amount of child support is determined by factoring the combined income of both parents, the financial needs of the children, and the number of children that require financial support.

Unless both parents agree on a different formula, Wyoming child support guidelines will be used as the standard when establishing a child support order and determining the monthly child support obligation.

Wyoming Child Support Laws Continue -If a medical insurance plan is available at a reasonable cost through one of the parent’s employers, he or she...

Forums |Share This Site|Find a lawyer|State Child Support|
|Links |Child Support Laws